Goedverwacht is situated off the R399 near Piketberg. The village was established as a cattle farm in 1810 by a farmer, Hendrik Schalk Burger. He bequethed the farm to his slave Maniesa and her descendants. In 1889 the Moravian Missionaries bought the farm and since then the locals have been involved in the property.
The Church building, modern styled houses and the beautiful gardens are examples of the fine local craftsmanship. The tranquillity of the village is complimented by big evergreen trees along the main road.
What to do in Goedverwacht
Every June the Snoek and Patat Festival offers traditional dishes, such as braaied snoek and sweet potato; roosterkoek and strong coffee.
The old water mill houses the Mill Museum.
The parsonage as well as the stone church are all National Monuments and well worth a visit.
Also look out for Maniesa’s grave.
For a guided walking tour pop in at the Goedverwacht Visitor Information Centre. Certain times of the year, locally cultivated vegetables are sold at designated locations – enquire at the Information Centre.